Lead Designer Job Description
REPORTS TO: Design Manager
To professionally execute a complete design for a design-build/design-assist project that will result in maximum profitability, timely completion and satisfaction of all contractual obligations; while insuring lasting beneficial relationships with all associated parties.
Work with Project Management Team in developing value engineering ideas on given projects that will create respect amongst peers, building owners, construction managers, and engineers.
Train and develop designers so that they can work independently in developing ideas for designs and applications.
Assist with The Business Development/Pre-Construction Team on Design Assist and IPD projects.
Position Responsibilities and Duties:
- Compile a complete and comprehensive set of documents, to include plans and specifications that a project management team can build by.
- Display competent knowledge of all contract documents and function with autonomy making favorable documentation interpretation.
- Display competence in developing optimum work methods; and the preparation of sketches and drawings; secure approval of our in-house standards of construction and provide support to other designers.
- Have a basic understanding of each project to determine the amount of time to be devoted for estimate, securing and final design.
Training of Support Staff:
- Present means and methods of design and constructability to designers, Project Management, and Coordination Staff as needed to support design-build functions.
- Staff – build rapport and working relationships with supervision, project teams, and others that influence decisions for purchasing, estimating, planning, construction, and business functions.
- Build productive working relationships with owners, architects, customers, subcontractors, and vendors.
- Have knowledge and understanding of each customer to influence trade with Company, and to accept our specific proposal.
- Work effectively with administrative staff to support the design-build record keeping, proposals, and billings.
- Display competent knowledge and understanding of codes, industry standards, plumbing systems and mechanical systems.
- Assure compliance with company policy, contracts, and applicable state and local laws.
- Understanding systems and layout within a building envelope. Compile an efficient and cost effective design within the guidelines of the project.
- Perform heat load calculations using the latest software.
- Maintain software updates for design and engineering programs
- Have knowledge of what estimate consists of including take-off equipment buy-out and subcontractor selection prior to compiling pricing for review by Senior Vice President or Vice President of Special Projects.
- Provide value engineering when evaluating projects.
- Have an understanding of how projects are handled and offer support and ideas to increase profit on a given project.
- Perform other assignments per supervisor’s direction.